By Bruce Baker | Examiner News
An unattended 3-year-old killed by a garage door Friday was the victim of a tragic accident, Maryland authorities say. The toddler was pinned underneath an automatic garage door after she attempted to run out before it closed. Investigators are trying to learn if the accidental death was due to faulty garage door sensors, citing an April 6 ABC news report.
A spokesperson with the Charles County Sheriff’s Department said the child slipped out of the Waldorf home without her mother knowing, pressed the control on the wall and tried running out.
Sadly, she never made it; the 3-year-old was pinned and killed by the garage door that closed on top of her back. Police believe she died from asphyxiation when the heavy door crushed her, cutting off breathing.
Despite her parent’s efforts to save the girl moments after hearing the door close, the child was found dead when police and paramedics arrived.
This recent death marks the second time in recent weeks in which a young child was either killed or severely injured in a Maryland neighborhood.
Typically, newer construction homes include sensors on either side of the garage door. They are designed to reverse the door when the beams are disturbed, usually from a car, animal or human.
While an autopsy is scheduled, investigators are clear the 3-year-old was killed by the garage door accidentally. Part of the investigation will find out if sensors were operating properly at the time.